Position: Lab Technician – San Jose, California
BGI Americas is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join its BGIA Support team. This position provides an opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and contribute to BGIA’s goal of improving human health by providing genomic information to understand, prevent, diagnose, and treat diseases and conditions. As a member of the BGIA Support team, the position will support next generation processes for genome sequencing. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing standard work procedures on a wide range of molecular biology techniques related to Next Generation Sequencing.
Location: San Jose, CA.
- Execute on and assist in the development of process instructions that ensure accuracy, throughput, and quality.
- Operate and monitor laboratory automation and instrumentation. Communicate issues and failures as necessary to the appropriate parties.
- Apply knowledge and experience in specialized areas, with an understanding of the underlying biochemistry. Use that knowledge and understanding to address problems and situations ordinarily encountered in laboratory manufacturing processes.
- Functional understanding of Operational Excellence principles, including Lean, 5S, and Kaizen, and has the ability to apply them to the workplace.
- General lab duties, such as restocking supplies and maintaining inventory.
- Individual will be required to identify, communicate and participate in continuous improvement efforts.
- Will be responsible for working within the team to communicate goals, collaborate on initiatives and deliver on key performance indicators.
- Will utilize various manufacturing systems and applications for performing work duties, including LIMS and other proprietary software.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology or related field with 1-2 years of industry experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Previous Next Gen Sequencing experience highly desirable.
- Molecular biology experience acquired from working with technologies such as PCR, sequencing, microarrays, and liquid handling automation is preferred.
- Familiarity with processes used in molecular biology production and R&D environments.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with great attention to detail and record keeping.
- Proficiency in the use of basic molecular biology laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required, as well as experience with Good Laboratory Practices and aseptic techniques.
- Bloodborne pathogen training and experience with current Hep B vaccination status.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced lab environment. Should be familiar with systems and processes used in such settings, such as the use of SOP’s and LIMS.
- Demonstrated strength in working within a team, as well as ability to work effectively independently. Should be well organized, self-motivated and possess excellent time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to multitask and adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Attention to detail, with good problem solving and analytical thinking skills required.
- Quality minded, customer focused and driven by desire for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated capability to interact effectively with cross functional partners, notably Development, Research, Supply Chain, and other dependent manufacturing teams.
- Strong technical ability and demonstrated proficiency in performing and troubleshooting molecular biology systems.
- Experience with Operational Excellence, Lean Manufacturing desired.
- Strong documentation skills and experience using standard data analysis tools are required.
- Experience in quality systems and resource planning is desirable.
- Competency in Microsoft Office applications and general computing skills required.
BGI Americas Corporation
BGI, the world’s leading genomics center, provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for medical, agricultural and environmental applications. We help our customers to achieve their research goals by delivering rapid, high quality results using a broad array of cost-effective, cutting-edge technologies. Our customers also benefit from our scientific expertise and research experience that have generated over 400 publications in top-tier journals such as Nature and Science. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting international collaborative projects with leading research institutions to better mankind and our world.
On April 27th, 2010, BGI Americas was founded with its main office in Boston, MA, U.S.A. BGI Americas offers scientific and technological solutions to partners in all countries in North, Central, and South America, and seeks collaborative opportunities in the “omics” field. BGI values our employees as we believe they are the driving force behind our successful performance.
If you feel your skills and experience meet the requirements of the job, please forward a cover letter and CV to the following email: email@example.com or call 617-514-7195.