BGI Group Ranks No.1 among APAC and China Life Science Corporations for Seven Consecutive Years: 2022 Nature Index Annual Tables Revealed
BGI Group has topped the Asia Pacific and China life science corporate institution ranking table for the seventh year running, released in the 2022 Nature Index Annual Tables. With a 19 percent increase in its adjusted share metric, BGI Group, parent company of BGI Genomics, ranked eighth among global life science corporate institutions, which is an improvement over the preceding year’s tenth-place result.
Nature Index Global Rankings: January 1 to December 31, 2021
The Nature Index is an indicator of institutional research performance. Share, Nature Index’s key metric, is a fractional count for an article allocated to an institution, that considers the proportion of authors on the article from that institution.
Among the top ten life science corporate institutions worldwide, there are six institutions from the U.S such as Pfizer, three from Europe such as Roche, with BGI Group as the only APAC and Chinese institution on this list.
BGI Group's key research highlights from 2021 include:
- Zhou, Yang, et al. “Platypus and Echidna Genomes Reveal Mammalian Biology and Evolution.” Nature News, Nature Publishing Group, 6 Jan. 2021.
- Bi, Xupeng, et al. “Tracing the Genetic Footprints of Vertebrate Landing in Non-Teleost Ray-Finned Fishes.” Cell, vol. 184, no. 5, 2021.
- Wei, Tong, et al. “Whole-Genome Resequencing of 445 Lactuca Accessions Reveals the Domestication History of Cultivated Lettuce.” Nature Genetics, vol. 53, no. 5, 2021, pp. 752–760.
- Yang, Chentao, et al. “Evolutionary and Biomedical Insights from a Marmoset Diploid Genome Assembly.” Nature, vol. 594, no. 7862, 2021, pp. 227–233.
- Xiang, Xi, et al. “Enhancing CRISPR-Cas9 Grna Efficiency Prediction by Data Integration and Deep Learning.” Nature Communications, vol. 12, no. 1, 2021.
- Varshney, R.K., Roorkiwal, M., Sun, S. et al. A chickpea genetic variation map based on the sequencing of 3,366 genomes. Nature 599, 622–627 (2021).
BGI Group was “born global” as we were established on Sept. 9, 1999 by a group of young scientists to participate in the global Human Genome Project and fulfill China’s mission of sequencing about 1% of the entire human genome.
As a subsidiary of BGI Group, BGI Genomics is also active in clinical research collaboration involving gene tests with high specificity and sensitivity.
About the Nature Index
The Nature Index was first released in November 2005. The metrics of Count and Share used to order Nature Index listings are based on an institution’s publication output in 82 natural science journals, selected on reputation by an independent panel of leading scientists in their fields. The Nature Index provides absolute Count and fractional Share counts of article publication at the institutional and national level and, as such, is an indicator of global high-quality research output and collaboration.
About BGI Genomics
BGI Genomics, headquartered in Shenzhen, China, is the world's leading integrated solutions provider of precision medicine. Our services cover more than 100 countries and regions, involving more than 2,300 medical institutions. In July of 2017, as a subsidiary of BGI Group, BGI Genomics (300676.SZ) was officially listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange.